The chapter held its first quartet show in the Recreational Gym in the fall of 1949 with Barton Lewis as the musical director. It was a huge success but for various reasons the organization lay dormant between 1949 and 1951. In that year, George E. “Buck” Lewis succeeded his brother as director and shows were resumed in the fall of 1951.
From 1951 through 1960, each year in spring and fall, a show (which became known as an “Album of Harmony”) was held at the Grand Theater, always to capacity audiences. Starting in 1961 the Album of Harmony was presented only once a year, in the spring. In 1964 the location of the show changed to the Civic Auditorium which was renamed the Alberta Kimball Auditorium in 1999. From 1991 through 1994 there were shows in the afternoon and in the evening. At the present time we hold one evening show in the spring.
Over the years many local choruses, quartets and professional quartets have been guests at our shows. The longest run of appearances by one group was by the 1951 International Champion Schmitt Brothers from Two Rivers, Wisconsin. The Schmitt Brothers had 16 consecutive show appearances from 1952-1963 and a total of 21 appearances over the years, and always to a full house.
Since the late 1980’s the chorus has added a comedy skit to the show with a different theme each year. Some of the most popular have featured “Sven & Ole.” The Afterglows have always been an enjoyable extension of the shows.